New ISIM Fellowships available
The International Institute for the Study of Islam in the Modern World (ISIM) invites applications for ISIM Short-Term Fellowships. These are available to prospective ISIM PhD and Post-Doctoral Fellows, and are intended to develop research projects to be submitted to external funding agencies.
ISIM conducts and promotes interdisciplinary research on contemporary social, political, cultural, and intellectual trends and movements in Muslim societies and communities. ISIM promotes and hosts research projects that are informed by a social science perspective, fit in with the general research profile of ISIM, and preferably are related to the specific research programmes directed by the ISIM Chairs (see www.isim.nl).
ISIM is located in the historic city of Leiden with convenient links to the coast, the airport, and major European cities. Fellows have full access to extensive libraries, research centres, and the facilities of the universities participating in ISIM: the University of Amsterdam, Leiden University, Radboud University Nijmegen and Utrecht University.
We are looking for candidates who:
* have (recently) obtained an MA or PhD degree (as appropriate) in the social sciences or humanities;
* are strongly motivated and well qualified to develop a research project along the lines described above;
* are committed to contribute actively to the ISIM community of fellows, by participating in ISIM seminars and other activities.
Candidates are requested to send us:
* a completed online application form by 15 May 2007. The form can be found here from 30 March onwards;
* a CV including a list of publications, a writing sample and the names and contact details of two referees.
* a fellowship for a period of, tentatively, three months on a full-time basis, starting 1 September 2007; a part-time contract can be negotiated;
* an inspiring environment, including academic and strategic feedback on the research proposal to be developed, and on further writings;
* a return ticket to and from Leiden;
* support in the necessary immigration procedures and assistance in finding housing.
For more details on the ISIM Short Term Fellowships please contact the ISIM secretariat:
ISIM, P.O. Box 11089
2301 EB Leiden, The Netherlands
Tel: 31-(0)71-527 7905
Fax: 31-(0)71-527 7906